Diversions

Troika: Day One

Clearly, festival season is in full swing (at least in NC). As soon as we recuperated from a busy weekend at Moogfest, Dive headed to the festival that gives us a reason to say, “We’re proud to be from the Triangle!” Namely, Troika — and if you were foolish enough to stay home last night, let these photos be a lesson to you.

Birds & Arrows and Mosadi Music kept the crowd’s spirits up as the festival got off to a chilly, rainy start. Pete and Andrea Connolly’s tender, soaring vocals were an ideal antidote to a dreary evening, and plenty of attendees complemented the band’s gorgeous harmonies with a bratwurst from the sausage truck.

Other highlights from last night were Veelee’s Pinhook set — pretty dark, so no images — and Dex Romweber’s powerful, one-man performance at 618 Foster St. His vocals have the same old-school snarl as Johnny Cash and as much instrumental innovation as John Lennon, but lyrically, Romweber’s got an amazing sense of modernity and relevance. Call Dive crazy, but if Dex sang about shooting a man in Reno, we’d probably believe him.

Tonight’s roster is looking equally delicious — head out and see Wesley Wolfe, North Elementary, The Small Ponds, Minor Stars, The Jackets, Los Naturales… Do we really need to type out the whole schedule?

Mosadi Music

Mosadi Music

Old Bricks

Hog

Hog

Django Haskins

Double Negative

Dex Romweber

Valient Thor

Valient Thor