Diversions

The Movie Trail: February 8, 2011

Quality full-length trailers are pretty much non-existent this week, as most studies seemed to invested all of their time and money in 30-second spots during the Super Bowl, so this week I’ll be running down the ones that amused me most.

First up is “Captain America: The First Avenger,” and the Super Bowl spot is the first look at it audiences have gotten beyond a few stills from the set. I always though Captain America was basically just a guy in tights who threw his shield at people but apparently I was wrong; he does have a shield, but he also shoots Nazis and blows a ton of stuff up. To top it all off, it’s got two of my favorite actors, Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving, in supporting roles, so as long as it doesn’t get severely hindered by a PG-13 rating you can almost certainly bet I’ll be there to catch some mindless superhero action. Also, Chris Evans apparently signed on to play Captain America in six films, so clearly Paramount has a lot invested in this one.

I was actually entirely unaware that Thor was a superhero, but hey, apparently there’s a movie for him too. It’s much less gritty-looking than “Captain America,” but they appear to have tried to compensate by setting all the action sequences at night in the rain to give that effect anyways. Oh, and this is apparently going to be in 3D, so look forward to another $3 at the theater. Like “Captain America,” it also has a talented supporting cast including Natalie Portman, Anthony Hopkins, and Samuel L. Jackson. Check out both the Super Bowl spot and the full trailer from a while back below.

And finally, I present “Fast Five.” I’m admittedly conflicted here, as I absolutely hated “Fast & Furious” and the fact that it handled such a ridiculous plot with an over-serious tone. But “Fast Five” is apparently just deciding to say “screw it” and add some more explosions, excise the last possible bit of believable plot, and throw Dwayne Johnson with a ridiculous beard in the mix. I can’t be sure if I’ll like it, but I guess I can’t accuse it of being anything other than deliberately over-the-top now.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide