Diversions

Dive Recs (5/30 to 6/5): Umbrella-impaired

Album from the Vaults:

Gil Scott-Heron, Pieces of a Man: The album, released back in 1971, is one of the most critically-acclaimed for the recently deceased artist. Hailed by many as the father of hip hop, Scott-Heron was the not only the voice of a movement, but a number of generations that followed. Granted this album is heavily rooted in slow jazz, Scott-Heron’s poetic styles and jazz-infused music overall propelled him to be a shaper within his respective genre.

Movie from the Vaults:

“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”: Matthew Broderick in one of his more notable roles as the charming, clever Ferris Bueller. In a movie that was made for summertime madness, Bueller takes Chicago by storm with no limit to the shenanigans and breaking of the fourth wall. Given the long weekend, many of us are probably still in that mood to skip out on responsibility – this movie should help quench that urge… or strengthen it.

Events:

Tuesday, May 31

Bad Manners

Local 506 | Reggae and Ska bands, Bad Manners and Cary-based Archbishops of Blount Street, come to Local 506 for some fun upbeat music to kick off the post-Memorial Day week.
9 p.m., $14 if purchased in advance

Thursday, June 2

Times New Viking

Local 506 | Despite a rather slow week in terms of events between the main local music spots, Times New Viking look to start off the weekend strong. They bring a sound that is a bit loud and sloppy, but it’s something you’d expect to hear playing at a local gig with a loud audience. They will be joined by The Toddlers.
9:30 p.m., $10 if purchased in advance

Friday, May 27

Mr. Diplomat

DSI Comedy Theater | One of the more innovative series in improv comedy is on yet again this weekend for those in need of a late-night helping of fun. Mr. Diplomat features a performance of spit-fire true stories geared to give any audience pleasure ranging from the absurd to down-right hilarious.
10:30 p.m., Free

Saturday, May 28

Paul Thorn

Cat’s Cradle | Thorn brings his Country twisted with Americana tunes to Cat’s Cradle this weekend, along with Dark Water Rising. The upbeat sound looks to take up the space early Saturday night.
8 p.m., $15