Diversions

Hopscotch 2011: Day one

<p>Chapel Hill&#8217;s Le Weekend plays at Raleigh&#8217;s White Collar Crime for Hopscotch 2011. </p>
Buy Photos

Chapel Hill’s Le Weekend plays at Raleigh’s White Collar Crime for Hopscotch 2011.

7233_day_one_super_vacationso.jpgThe Super Vacations play at Slim’s Bar in downtown Raleigh for Hopscotch 2011.

Allison Hussey: As soon as Hopscotch ended last year, I I had high expectations for this year’s festival. Night one definitely delivered. Trying to sleep on Wednesday night made me feel like a small child waiting for Christmas to come, and I couldn’t get to Raleigh fast enough after class on Thursday.

I started the night out at Tir na nOg to see 12,000 Armies. They started a few minutes late, which meant that I caught only three songs before having to trek over to Fletcher Opera Hall to catch Rhys Chatham.

Chatham’s lineup featured an array of local artists forming his band — eleven in total. Despite the thirty-minute piece called “Guitar Trio,” drummer Lee Waters really shone. The set was loud and intense, something I wasn’t quite expecting for a seated show at Fletcher, but it was a breathtaking experience nonetheless.

Speaking of Fletcher Opera Hall: it’s a great venue addition. If you’re sick of standing around and getting jostled by sweaty club patrons, head to Fletcher. It’s cool and full of plushy theater seats, making it a great place to take a breather and take in a good show. The lineups for all three nights are impressive.

From Fletcher, it was just a hop, skip and a jump to the Lincoln Theatre, where I planned on seeing The Love Language. The club was packed, and there was still a line stretched along the side of the Lincoln when I left. The Love Language was another band I didn’t stick around long to see. They played all of my favorite songs first, and I left shortly thereafter.

I began my trek to the Union and was lucky enough to catch the Larry’s Beans shuttle to save me the long walk. I was the only person on the little bus, which was lined with multicolored flashing rope lights and blasting the music of Gogol Bordello inside. The quick trip was another welcome way to chill. Take advantage of the shuttle—it’s free!—if the long walks between venues gets you down.

My night ended with Chapel Hill’s own Mandolin Orange, whose set of quiet, slightly sleepy tunes at the Union was the perfect close to the night. The Union was surprisingly low-key—judging by the number of people who said they’d hit the Mandolin Orange show, I had expected the venue to be packed. Guitarist and singer Andrew Marlin recently broke his pelvis and had to play the show sitting down, but it didn’ts slow him down. In fact, it was probably the most energetic performance I’ve seen them give.

Nights two and three of Hopscotch are looking even better. Tonight I plan on hitting Guided by Voices, Mount Eerie, Mount Moriah and Annuals to name a few. Don’t even get me started on the day parties. If last night was any indication, then this weekend is going to rule.

Make sure to follow us at @DTHDiversions for Hopscotch updates. Check out what’s going on at #Hopscotch11.

Joe’s plans for Friday Night:

City Plaza Shows:
5:45 – The Dodos
7:00 – Drive-By Truckers
8:40 – Guided by Voices

Club Shows:
9:00 – Wesley Wolfe, White Collar Crime
9:30 – Whatever Brains, Kings Barcade
10:00 – King Mez, Tir Na Nog
10:30 – Annuals, Lincoln Theatre
11:00 – John Vanderslice, Berkley Cafe
11:30 – Swans, Fletcher Opera Hall
12:00 – Mount Moriah, Berkley Cafe
12:30 – EARTH, Kings Barcade