Diversions

Carolina Creates Music brings live music to venues both on campus and off

<p>Sophomore Priscilla Townsend has a pretty sweet gig as a student musician: after winning a karaoke contest in her hometown of Waxhaw, N.C., she wound up scoring a three-year record deal with Charlotte-based Bench Studios.</p>
Buy Photos

Sophomore Priscilla Townsend has a pretty sweet gig as a student musician: after winning a karaoke contest in her hometown of Waxhaw, N.C., she wound up scoring a three-year record deal with Charlotte-based Bench Studios.

It’s been a “taxing” semester for the director of Carolina Creates Music, David August.

Take last week for example: Tuesday’s “jazz and puppies” in the Pit got rained out. But the organization’s monthly residency at the Nightlight didn’t. They made up for the bad weather Wednesday with another Pit performance featuring several student bands. Later that day, they held their weekly jam session in Hamilton 100. On Friday, another performance on South Campus.

If you’ve heard live music on campus in the last few months, chances are it’s because of CCM.

Since he was put in charge of the student group, a division of Carolina Creates funded by the Office of the Chancellor, August was given a budget of $1,000 and a simple goal: provide a springboard for student musicians.

“I applied for it, they gave me the director position and then they said, ‘We want you to provide resources for musicians. Go at it,’” August said. “I was able to interpret it however which way I wanted it and implement it. Created a good team and we’ve been rocking it.”

Since January, August said CCM has put on five to six shows a month directly and collaborated with other organizations and venues for several more.

One of CCM’s monthly gigs for students is a headlining slot at the Nightlight on Rosemary Street. At the end of January, August billed a psychedelic folk band led by a UNC student, VIRGINS.

“I wouldn’t say the show was necessarily sold out, but it was packed,” said frontman Saman Khoujinian.

For student musicians, Khoujinian said CCM was vital and there’s only room for the organization to grow.

“David August, the dude that runs it, he is a visionary in my opinion,” Khoujinian said. “He’s always telling me about new ideas that he has and all these entrepreneurial, innovative methods of getting music out there.”

While the VIRGINS performance came out a success, August admits CCM is still working towards its main audience.

“People that are really into music will come out,” August said. “They’ll follow our page, like us on Facebook, follow our Twitter.”

But that’s not who August is after. The local music scene has already won over those people. August said the challenge for CCM is to grab the attention of the average student and expose them to the talent of their peers.

“You can get lost in Chapel Hill sometimes,” August said. “You have work, you have your organizations, the stuff you’re involved in.

“The average student isn’t going to go out of their way to go to a show — they’re busy. I think bringing it to them is crucial.”

Tonight, CCM and Carolina Creates Visual Arts present “Southern Experience” on the bricks of South Campus’ Rams Head Plaza. Three student bands will play and a canvas will be set up for anyone to paint on.

Beyond opportunities for bands, at a meta level, the organization is providing experience for its members as an entry-level proving ground for promoters and marketers.

Before CCM, there weren’t too many options for students wanting to learn the art of booking and putting on a concert. When August applied for the director position last October, the only bullet point he had was for lining up two shows for UNC’s student-run Vinyl Records.

Freshman Kat Kucera heard about the organization from one of its members and joined last week. Kucera will be working to promote events.

“I think through working through this organization I can figure out what kind of strengths I may have,” Kucera said. “I might really find out that I really like marketing and creating music through hosting events.”

Kucera said most people see music without an opportunity for a career. But with the connections she’s already made in the organization, she’s reconsidering.

“I’m technically a psychology major,” Kucera said, “But, you know, that could change.”

Contact the Diversions Editor at diversions@dailytarheel.com.