Diversions

Brick-and-mortar record stores take center stage on Record Store Day

Small-time record shops are slowly regaining popularity.

Now, they’ve got their very own day. In its fifth year, Record Store Day celebrates brick-and-mortar independent record stores and physical music media on Saturday.

Along with in-store performances by bands, Record Store Day participants also look forward to limited-edition releases from some of their favorite bands.

We looked at what this year’s celebration has to offer around the Triangle, as well as records you can snag.

Local records

Hiss Golden Messenger, “Jesus Dub”/”Jesus Shot Me in the Head” :It’s a treat for fans of the Pittsboro folkster. It’s a super-limited release, so snatch one up if you can.

Free Electric State, Monumental Life: The album makes its CD and digital debut on Tuesday, but you can pick up a vinyl copy of the band’s second LP a few days ahead of time.

Bowerbirds, “In the Yard/”Always an Ear to Bend:” The band just put out The Clearing, but it has readied this 7-inch with a track from the record and one new one.

Carolina Chocolate Drops/Run DMC, “You Be Illin:” North Carolina old-time folk act has covered Run DMC’s “You Be Illin,” and features the original on the flip side.

Dan Melchior, Ghost in the Supermarket: Melchior has cranked out records like a machine over the past year, and this five-song EP is next in line.

Nationally Released Records

Destroyer, Destroyer’s Rubies: If you’re looking to round out your
vinyl collection, Rubies is just one of several records seeing its first U.S. release this weekend.

Jimmy Fallon, Tebowie: Late night host Jimmy Fallon combined David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust with football star Tim Tebow to make something bizarrely hilarious.

Feist/Mastodon, “Commotion”/”Black Tongue:” A sweet indie songstress and a metal band — no matter how you turn it, this will be an interesting release.

Tallest Man on Earth, King of Spain: Originally sold on the band’s 2010 European tour, this 12-inch features three songs, including a stripped-down cover of Paul Simon’s “Graceland.”

The Flaming Lips, The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends: Mad genius Wayne Coyne got with Bon Iver, Yoko Ono and Ke$ha for this one. What more could you want?

Participating stores

Carrboro:
All Day Records, 112A E. Main St.

Chapel Hill:
CD Alley, 405 W. Franklin St.

Durham:
Bull City Records, 2600 Hillsborough Road
Offbeat Music, 905 W. Main St.

Raleigh:
Edward McKay Used Books and More, 3514 Capital Blvd.
In the Groove Records, 14 S. Glenwood Ave.
Schoolkids Records, 2114 Hillsborough St.

Other releases

Afrika Bambaataa/MC5, “Kick Out The Jams”
Animal Collective, Transverse Temporal Gyrus
Blitzen Trapper, “Hey Joe”/”Skirts on Fire”
Garbage, “Blood for Poppies”
Laura Marling, Flicker and Fail
M. Ward, “Primitive Girl”
M83, Mirror
Mclusky, Mclusky Do Dallas
Ricky Skaggs and Tony Rice, Skaggs & Rice
Sara Watkins featuring Fiona Apple and The Everly Brothers, You’re The One I Love