Diversions

Movie Review: Wrath of the Titans

2010’s “Clash of the Titans” was a big-budget but low-intelligence remake of the 1981 classic of the same name, and it did little else other than make “Release the Kraken!” the most overused catchphrase of the spring. “Wrath of the Titans” fails once more to bring the goofy action and awesome special effects that audiences want and raises the question of how $150 million can buy something so damn bland.

Now trying to live the quiet life as a fisherman, Perseus (Sam Worthington) is called upon by his father Zeus (Liam Neeson) to aid the gods in a war against the denizens of the underworld prison Tartarus. After Zeus is captured by Hades (Ralph Fiennes) and Ares (Edgar Ramirez), Perseus must again pick up his sword and both save his father and prevent the release of the world-destroying monster, Kronos.

The rampant bastardization of Greek mythology is the least of the film’s problems. The dialogue is bad, the CGI is repetitive and Worthington has absolutely no charisma or appeal as a hero.

Knowing that it was never going to be a dramatic classic, the movie would have benefitted from giving its audiences what they were promised by the first film: some no-holds-barred action with plenty of one-liners and self-referential absurdity.

At best, “Wrath of the Titans” is an uninteresting film, and the only time the audience is likely to feel wrath is when they realize what they paid for a ticket.

Wrath of the Titans
Dive verdict: 1.5 of 5 stars