Diversions

Music Review: Summer James

The premise of Sumner James’ debut 29 Days was to create an album from start to finish over the course of one month. He managed that while embracing a new personal style of music to boot.

A member of the folk Durham quartet Bombadil, James Phillips branched out when he recorded his electronic album. The resulting collection of songs is refreshingly different from the band’s tendencies, with quirky folk being replaced by spacious and well-paced electronica.

Beginning with the first track, “Every Child is an Artist,” where Phillips layers cutesy children’s voices with delicate percussive efforts, 29 Days continues as an infinite and echoing synth-filled realm.

While his throaty vocals bellow and hum throughout, the fluctuations between more upbeat numbers and slower jams create a surprising variety, even considering Phillips’ more folk-based background.

However, this collection isn’t full of your standard electronic tracks. Much like with Bombadil, Phillips’ lyrics are quirky yet approachable. He employs varied elements that approach the genre as widely as the resounding synth. And on songs like “Don’t Break My Heart” and “Tribute,” he introduces a quieted, more emotional edge that remains compelling.

This isn’t to say there isn’t room for growth. For all of the variety, this is an approach that still retains the risk of slipping to a place where everything becomes more of the same. But for a first release, he demonstrates an exciting expansion in his musicianship. Where Bombadil is playful and more subdued, Sumner James is cool and saturated with sound — characteristics that bode well for the next release.