Diversions

Music Review: The Evil Tenors

Though generally just the outside of a sweet summer fruit, the term “peach fuzz” is also a common nickname for the pubescent precursor to full-blown facial hair. In a strange way, it’s the latter that best describes Peach Fuzz, the impressive debut EP from Chapel Hill outfit The Evil Tenors.

Peach Fuzz builds slowly with “Your Love is Instrumental,” but that’s not to say it’s uninteresting — just meticulously paced. From there, the band jumps into “Living With Ghosts,” a more pop-tinged, head-nodding track.

Even in its more upbeat moments, there’s still the slightest twinge of darkness on Peach Fuzz. The Evil Tenors could just have easily been another rock band, but those dark little drips keep you hooked and wanting more.

The EP’s generally energetic tracks strike a balance with slower tracks “Your Love is Instrumental” and “Out of Reach,” making the EP feel cohesive and complete.

Peach Fuzz comes to a rousing finish with its title track, “Peach Fuzz/You’re Not a Sharp Knife.” Its biting lyrics paired with its thick bassline make it absolutely irresistible.

The problem with Peach Fuzz is, like most EPs, its brevity. If Peach Fuzz is just a teaser of things to come from The Evil Tenors, listeners can expect something delicious indeed.

4/5 stars