Diversions

Concert Review: Big K.R.I.T. 9/13/2012, Cat's Cradle

When a security guard had to tackle an animated and probably intoxicated audience member off stage, after he attempted a Lil’ Mama VMA reenactment during Slim Thug’s opening set, it was clear the night would be wild.

On Sept. 13, rapper Big K.R.I.T. performed at Cat’s Cradle for the third time in his career. “High-energy performance” would be a euphemistic description of Thursday night’s event in Carrboro, as K.R.I.T. is notorious for nothing short of electrifying shows.

Mostly performing tracks from his debut album Live From the Underground, he illuminated a crowd of more than 400 people with tracks like “I Got This” and “Pull Up”. As an accessory to the excitement and a cooling mechanism for sweaty audience members, K.R.I.T.’s people came out at a heightened moment of the performance and threw multiple opened bottles of Crystal Geyser into the crowd.

A memorable moment of the night came, when in a crowd of dread-shaking, hand waving, crying, screaming and head-banging fans, K.R.I.T. noticed a single, still and unmoved girl with an orange shirt in the front row – to whom he playfully dedicated the words of his “What you Mean,” single feat. Ludacris, rapping, “What you mean you ain’t nasty? Why the f—- you came,” receiving a chuckle and a smile from her in return.

After changing out of two T-shirts, K.R.I.T. finally ended the night in a nothing but a drenched white undershirt and stood on top of an equally wet stage onto which he had sweat drops of hard work and ambition. He stood, smiling, in front of a new fan, a cheering crowd and plenty of enamored women.