Diversions

Movie Review: Looper

“Looper” will go down in thriller history as a revolutionary movie in the realm of time travel. The film is a brilliant, new marker in a concept that has been so well explored. It takes place in the future where the concept of manipulating time has been invented, but is considered illegal. Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is a kempt junkie who works as a looper for a group that conducts its work further in the future.

Joe’s job requires him to kill targets sent from a future decade and dispose of the bodies. However, things go awry as the target that he is assigned to destroy is his older self.

Unable to murder his future being, Joe allows Old Joe (Bruce Willis) to escape and chaos ensues. Old Joe is determined to create a future that is fitting to the life he desires, while the present Joe is determined to hinder those plans.

Although “Looper” may not fill in all the holes that the possibility of time travel creates, it does a superb job at relaying a tough concept to audiences. The movie is well-written with a plot that satisfies the viewer.

Willis and Gordon-Levitt do an excellent job portraying the similarities and differences between two different personalities from different times, while also being the same entity. The movie should also be credited for its brilliant accomplishment in changing Gordon-Levitt’s physical features to be a believable young Willis.

Although there may have been some extraneous parts, overall the film is worth watching by all audiences.

“Looper” makes one take an introspective look at themselves as the characters in the film, as an audience member and human being. For a viewer, the movie brings to mind one question: “Could I ever murder myself for the greater good of humanity?”