Diversions

Movie Review: Pitch Perfect

The latest attempt to resurrect a cappella comes in the form of the new film “Pitch Perfect,” which invites audience members to get “pitch slapped.” Whether or not that’s a good thing has yet to be seen.

“Pitch Perfect” follows Beca (Anna Kendrick), a freshman forced to attend Barden University in place of following her dream of becoming a music producer in Los Angeles.

After a month of trudging through classes, Beca’s father cuts her a deal: If she participates in at least one club, he’ll help her move to L.A. Obediently, she joins the Bellas, the classy all-female a cappella group on campus trying to recover from a massive blunder in last year’s collegiate national competition.

As the competition grows closer, tensions rise between the group’s overbearing leader Aubrey (Anna Camp) and offbeat members such as Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) and Lilly (Hana Mae Lee). Beca tries her best to lead the Bellas to victory — if they can make it without killing each other first.

While the film makes a valiant effort to combine the apparent hilarious spontaneity of teen life with the rising a cappella trend, not even up and coming star Anna Kendrick can make it seem realistic. Think of it as a season of Glee mushed into 112 minutes but with more angst and less Rachel Berry.

Despite a flakey storyline, it’s hard not to recognize that the songs and mash-ups performed are satisfactory and well choreographed. With the exception of the naturally hysterical Wilson, none of the actors were as particularly witty or comical as was promised in the film’s trailer.

Even with some memorable quotes and download-worthy tracks, “Pitch Perfect” seemed to fall a little flat.