Diversions

Movie Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Return to your high school days of first kisses, awkward dances, football games, fights in the cafeteria and lots and lots of teenage angst. As awful as that sounds, doing so through “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is both heartwarming and heartbreaking.

The film is written and directed by Stephen Chbosky, the author of the bestselling novel on which the film is based, ensuring that fans of the storyline won’t be let down by a butchered screen adaptation of the chronicle of a year in the life of a troubled high school freshman.

Beginning his first year of high school with the suicide of his best friend fresh on his conscience, Charlie (Logan Lerman) feels alone in a crowd of his classmates.

He feels invisible until he’s taken under the wings of two cool outcasts: Patrick (Ezra Miller), the witty and highly lovable gay senior and his stepsister, Sam (Emma Watson), who doubles as Charlie’s first real crush.

With his new friends, Charlie goes to his first high school party, experiments with drugs and girls, and rides around in Patrick’s pick-up truck, where he learns what it’s like to “feel infinite.”

“Perks” avoids being just another coming-of-age flick by including bizarre scenes including reenactments of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” and tackling deep psychological issues as well as common teenage troubles. It’s smart without being too smart for its own good. And, most of all, it’s incredibly reminiscent and relatable.

If you can get over the fact that Lerman is a little too naturally cool and attractive to play such a social outcast, and you can get past Watson’s sometimes Canadian-sounding American accent, “Perks” will leave you in love with Charlie and his best friends and reminiscent over your own high school memories with your group of pals.

You will probably find yourself looking back and relating to Charlie’s words, “Maybe it’s sad that these are now memories. And maybe it’s not sad.”