Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Diversions

Music Review: Bat for Lashes, The Haunted Man

Bat for Lashes
The Haunted Man

Indie Pop
Bat for Lashes strips down and brilliantly casts a shadow on idyllic love in her new album The Haunted Man. The new release boasts simple catchy rhythms, innovative pop mixes and striking vocal ranges.
Bat for Lashes is a stage name for British singer-songwriter Natasha Khan. Her style is a nice blend of Björk’s unique synthetic application of instruments and Florence Welch’s impassioned, hypnotic voice.
The LP’s second track “All Your Gold” is similar in sound to Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used To Know,” complete with the emotionally strained lyrics and anticipated haunting chorus. The verses are dominated by a tribal drum beat that leads into a high-pitched chorus. A sprinkle of futuristic keyboard gives the chorus the hook it needs.
Look further down the track listings and the song “Laura” will steal anyone’s heart. The sentimental song relies completely on delicate piano and consoling whispers to reach listeners. The lyrics speak of a famous girl yearning for acceptance of who she really is behind all the glitter. But everyone, famous or not, can relate and the song gives the much needed comfort on those reflective kind of days.
As alluring as this record is, the intensity can be a little overwhelming at times. Unless listeners are in a constant dream state, the songs tend to drag on and get a little boring and repetitive.
Despite the monotony, Bat for Lashes continues to show off her talent and versatility and is really a go-to artist for both dance numbers and heartfelt ballads.

­— Amanda Hayes