Diversions

Behind the Reel: Let's talk about sequels

How is it possible to have so many sequels to films, especially when they have a great impact on their predecessors?

Some sequels are well made and are beneficial to a series or sequence of films. Examples include classic movies such as the Star Wars saga (excluding episodes one, two, and three), Indiana Jones (again excluding the fourth movie) and even all eight Harry Potter Films. However there are some sequels that never should have been made. “Spiderman 3,” “Mulan 2” and “Wrath of the Titans” all fit into this category.

The question then becomes why is it that studios make these extraneous films? Is it because they want more money? Is it because they believe the movies will add an extra flair to
the originals? Or is it because they truly believe that audiences are crying out for more? All the answers to these question vary from studio to studio and are fill in a part of the gray area that can come with making movies.

With the soon release of Iron Man 3 and the announcement of “Finding Nemo 2,” it is important to bear in mind the purposes behind these movies; making sure to enjoy a movie for what it is and what it contributes to the others in its set.

Sequels can be amazing or they can fall completely flat. How the movie is seen is a personal decision made by the audience. But, one thing the viewer needs to realize is that they have a major impact on the production of a sequel; they are factor in making the next movie and they are part of the decision that will make an epic film or one that falls flat.