Diversions

Concert Review: Bombadil

Outfitted in matching white suits and ties, folk-pop band , Bombadil performed at the Cat’s Cradle Saturday, March 2, debuting tracks off its new record and playing many fan favorites.

Preceded by the Tender Fruit, along with tricks from Magic Mike (an actual magician), the Bombadil Variety Show left a great impression on concert goers. When the Durhamites took the stage, their swoon-worthy tracks really got the crowd in motion. No one in the crowd could resist belting the chorus of the awkwardly quirky track “A Question”, nor being captured by Stuart’s piano ballads that perpetually moved the Carrborians into a weepy folk-lullaby trance.

(Love is hard, Stuart! And a big DTH hug sent your way).

Above all, hardcore Bombadil fans were sincerely pleased as the four-piece introduced the Cat’s Cradle to five brand new songs on their upcoming record, Metrics of Affection. The band even played one song so new, that it’s not even on the next record.

Bombadil hit all the right keys providing the packed Cat’s Cradle with a beautiful performance backed by a brass and string ensemble. But the most exciting moment during the show was when drummer James Phillips took questions from the audience. But this normal-seeming mid-song premise took a surprising turn when one fan took the stage to propose to his girlfriend.

(A huge DTH congratulations to Bill and Maggie!)

In closing their set, three of the members shared vocal duties in an intimate stripped-down performance on yet another exclusive first listen, making concert-goers that much more anxious in their wait for the new album.

Bombadil’s newest album, Metrics of Affection, will be released on July 23.