Wednesday January 26th

Diversions

New Tunes on the Block, March 20

• Beyonce: “Bow Down/I Been On”

With Sasha Fierce-likearrogance, Beyonce has released what’s said to be a promotional track for her impending return to the music scene. Pulling from her Texas roots, this is two tracks in one, both to the flavor of Houston’s infamous Chopp’d and Screwed style. King B is literally telling her peers and admirers to Bow Down to her highness.

• Kendrick Lamar: “Don’t Kill My Vibe (remix)” feat. Jay-Z

Here it is — the stamp of approval — otherwise known as a Jay-Z verse. The hip-hop deity laid down a verse on one of newcomer Kendrick Lamar’s most popular records. We waited, it came, and it was so worth it.

• The Dream: “Slow it Down” feat. Fabolous

The Dream: a professional tease. The producer/singer/songwriter continues to treat audiences to singles that will or won’t appear on his upcoming album. Whether on the tracklist or not, “Slow it Down” let’s listeners know he himself is doing anything but. The track is just as wonderful as you would expect, coming from him.

• Drake: “5AM in Toronto”

Only a day after MTV listed Drake as the #5 rapper on their “Hottest MCs” list of 2013. The Grammy award-winning rapper retaliated with this. Perhaps MTV would like to reconsider? Or in the words of Drake himself, “F*ck your list, I’m on Forbes list.”

• Jhené Aiko: “Burning Man (3:16pm)”

Twelve hours later, Aiko just released the sequel of her first single, 3:16 am. This one is a lighter mood, but always as mellow — the Aiko signature. Check Def Jam’s newest product and her sailing vocals on this bonfire of a record.

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021