Diversions

Movie Review: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

G.I. Joe: Retaliation
2 stars

It seems as though summer has arrived early with the latest The Rock action film “G.I. Joe: Retaliation.” With no characters to emotionally connect with and even thinner antagonists, the new film from director Jon M. Chu is nothing more than action-packed scenery.

If you aren’t familiar with the G.I. Joes, they are an experienced military group utilized by the United States to do seemingly impossible jobs in- and outside the country. The physically imposing Roadblock (Dwayne Johnson) leads the team here, assisted by cocky Flint (D.J. Cotrona) and the beautiful Lady Jaye (Adrianne Palicki). These characters are all one note, and it’s difficult to care for such underwritten parts.

The acting is also a letdown. Dwayne Johnson continues to succeed in making every character he plays likeable, but the other performances are forgettable.

Thankfully, the strength of this franchise is not its characters. The movie is over-the-top and knows it: the main villain desires world domination, characters successfully disguise themselves as others and the dialogue is awkward and forced. The climax even takes place at a nuclear disarmament conference with the world’s foremost powers.

The most exhilarating scenes feature hand-to-hand combat and sword fighting rather than bombastic explosions and massive gunplay. A scene with Snake Eyes (Ray Park), a solo member of the Joes, set in a glorious mountain range is especially exciting. Zip lining along the edges of the mountain all while being chased by tens of ninjas demonstrates the potential heights this series can reach.
Sadly, too often the film plays with generic stereotypes and tried-and-true formulas; there is no inventiveness here. A surprising death in the beginning leaves way for an immediately identifiable action film.

Nonetheless, the CGI is surprisingly effective, and “G.I. Joe” is on par with your typical summer blockbuster: nice to look at, but not much underneath.