Diversions

Movie short: The Place Beyond the Pines

Spanning fifteen years and split into three pieces focused on separate characters, “The Place Beyond the Pines,” directed by Derek Cianfrance, comes so close to realizing its epic ambitions. Bolstered by thrilling performances and an engaging story, it only falters in the last act.

The first third of the film, centered on motorcycle rider Luke Glanton (Ryan Gosling), is riveting. Upon finding out that he has a son, Luke quits his job to help raise his kid in Schenectady, New York. The only problem is that he’s short on money, and the mother of his child, Romina (Eva Mendes), has found another man.

Gosling inhabits a character similar to the protective loner he played in “Drive,” but there are enough subtle differences in Luke. His character should be extremely unlikable, but his sad devotion to being a part of his son’s life is heartbreaking.

The film continues into the life of cop Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper) as he deals with the moral implications that come with being a local hero. Cooper, too, is great and embodies a powerful contrast to Luke.

Cianfrance’s decision to present “Pines” as linear while switching protagonists is interesting; it’s executed perfectly in the first two-thirds.

Unfortunately, the last section slows down much of the film’s momentum, as 15 years have passed, and entirely different characters are introduced. Despite solid acting from both Dane DeHaan and Emory Cohen, too much here relies on exposition when most films are concluding their stories.

Yet the film looks gorgeous. The forest scenery of upstate New York and the dramatic close-ups of the actors’ faces are all fantastic.

Despite a lackluster ending, “The Place Beyond the Pines” is amazing in some parts. Certainly, Gosling and Cooper will be remembered come awards time.

Dive Verdict: ???1/2