Diversions

Music Review: Major Lazer

Major Lazer
Free The Universe
??

Electronic

Free The Universe is the second full-length album from Major Lazer, an ambitious project from DJ and producer Diplo. The record consists of reggae-inspired electronic and dubstep. Each track features contributions from a wide array of artists, including Flux Pavilion, Bruno Mars and Vampire Weekend’s Ezra Koenig. While these guest contributions seem great in theory, they only serve to make a chaotic and disorganized record.

Free The Universe shouldn’t be considered a proper album, but rather a collection of fourteen individual songs. There is no overriding theme or message being conveyed, nor is there any consistency in the lyrics from song to song. One moment, Wyclef Jean is telling listeners to follow their dreams on “Reach for the Stars.” The next, Tyga is raunchily describing what he’s going to do on the dance floor on “Bubble Butt.”

Diplo’s production is often over the top and leaves much to be desired. In most of the songs, the reggae electronic combination isn’t very organic, and comes off as contrived.

The album isn’t all bad, as it features two standout tracks in “Get Free” and “Jessica.” On these songs, the production is stripped down and more subdued. In addition, these songs are successful because they feature actual singing, unlike the majority of the album which consists of gimmicky rapping in Caribbean accents.

In the end, it is clear that Diplo doesn’t quite understand what an album is. With a strictly electronic record, he might be able to get away with such disjointed tracks. However, with a album that features vocals on every song, having no continuity seems uninspired. Although ambitious, Diplo and his bevy of guest spots fail to create an album with soul or replayability.