Diversions

Music Review: Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Mosquito
???1/2

Alternative rock

The theme of Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ new album, Mosquito, is finding release, as if you’re being dropped in the middle of a jungle — concrete or tropical — with all these bugs or people chasing you relentlessly. The band strays from familiarity and cranks up the synthesizers to deliver music that takes the band in a new direction.

The first track, “Sacrilege,” is the beginning of the onslaught as the chanting choir represents the overwhelming force against a frightened, desperate girl, portrayed by Karen O’s crisp, intimate vocals. Pointed electric guitar chords heighten the attack while electrifying drums build a rebellious rocker perspective. The cutting screams of “Sacrilege” and mic distortion top off the building suffocation the lyrics describe.

“Subway” gives a lonelier side to the chase. The backdrop sounds like a subway traveling down the tracks as life continues. Karen O’s signature light, high voice paired with the return of the floating electric guitar melody extends the song to portray the illusion that the subway’s destination is unknown.

Guitarist and keyboardist Nick Zinner moves more toward tribal and electronic percussions as opposed to his usual jazz undertones. The decision added variety and painted a more vivid scope than previous recordings, but the synths and effects became too much of a departure at times. Fans have to dig through the additives to find the band’s original sound. The unapologetic and effortless candidness the band is known for is slightly diluted by attempts at new instrumentation.

Standing alone, the record thrills with the carried-away guitar, charging synths and eccentric lyrics. But as the band’s fourth LP, the music roams slightly too far from the grunge and fierceness of earlier works. But overall, the band’s talent and creativity leave the listener more than satisfied with whatever creation is served.