Diversions

Music Review: Mandolin Orange

Mandolin Orange
This Side of Jordan
4 Stars
Country/Folk

North Carolina has long been considered a hot bed for traditional Southern music. From Doc Watson’s mid-century bluegrass flatpicking to Whiskeytown’s bourbon-fueled mopers of the late ‘90s, customary sounds of the South have long been ingrained in the state’s storied musical narrative.

And so in 2013, when the pristine radio pop of bands like The Lumineers and Mumford and Sons is touted as being authentically Southern flavored, it’s not surprising that local music fans take offense.

Astute listeners, no doubt, are not fooled by these acts’ slick production, but how is the average person supposed to determine the authenticity of a band peddling acoustic guitars and banjos to boot? A listen to This Side of Jordan, the latest release from Carrboro duo Mandolin Orange will certainly point them in the right direction.

Andrew Marlin and Emily Frantz formed Mandolin Orange in early 2009. The duo’s 2010 debut Quiet Little Room was somewhat of a love letter to the sauntering folk and shuffling country rock that listeners have come to expect from the Old North State. This Side of Jordan, its first effort for local heavyweight Yep Roc Records, effuses the same reverential energy, but funnels it through a more reflective lens. Equal parts bright and brooding, This Side of Jordan captures the essence of the Southern musical tradition like a faded 35mm snap shot.

From the humble acoustic plucking of opener “House of Stone” to the ominous fiddle on “The Run Around” one thing is clear: both Marlin and Frantz are exceptional musicians. Throughout the album, the duo weaves elaborate instrumentation behind warm, roomy vocals. The relatively simple song structures allow the band to layer electric guitars, mandolins and various percussive elements to embellish its twangy melodies. Marlin and Frantz’s gentle harmonic interplay shines on “There Was a Time,” casting a mournful air over the song’s chorus, which laments the absence of a lover.

The strong chemistry between Marlin and Frantz flows through This Side Of Jordan’s 11 tracks. It is perhaps most evident on “Waltz About Whiskey,” an honest tune about drinking and dancing. Frantz’s soaring harmony matches Marlin’s drawly lead step for step. “I don’t need much of nothing except for all of your loving,” the two wail, highlighting the track’s carefree nature.

To call This Side of Jordan‘s virtuous take on downtempo folk and vintage country sincere would be a major understatement. Mandolin Orange has crafted an inviting collection of tunes that feels very much a product its environment. Steeped in down home Southern ornamentation, This Side of Jordan represents another solid entry in North Carolina’s traditional music catalogue.