Diversions

Hopscotch Recap: Day 1

<p>Eric Friedl of Oblivians performs at the Contemporary Art Museum as part of the 2013 Hopscotch Music Festival.</p>
Buy Photos

Eric Friedl of Oblivians performs at the Contemporary Art Museum as part of the 2013 Hopscotch Music Festival.

This weekend, bands and fans take over downtown Raleigh for the fourth annual Hopscotch Music Festival. Check out what Diversions staff have to say about the festival so far.

Allison, Dive Editor

My night began with Body Games, a new act out of Carrboro, at the Pour House. This was an excellent way to kick off the night — the group’s big beats and light show added to the already palpable excitement.

Next up was Nathan Bowles at the Fletcher Opera Theater, whose clawhammer banjo playing was outright chill-inducing. It was quiet yet captivating — definitely not your granddad’s pickin’. I stuck around for a few stunning songs from Angel Olson, but when I realized I was at serious risk for nodding off, I moved to Memorial Auditorium next door for some re-energizing by Sylvan Esso.

Like Body Games, Sylvan Esso helped bolster an already high-energy evening. The way the bass filled Memorial Auditorium was unbelievable — I don’t think I’ve heard two people sound more enormous.

Eros and the Eschaton at Slim’s was my next stop. They were a good “happy medium” sort of band. Mellow enough to set you at ease a little bit, but weird enough to keep your interest.

Endless Boogie took the stage next, and even did so early — “We are going to start a few minutes early because we never have enough time,” was the choice quote from frontman Paul Major. The band’s old-school ’70s-style rock ‘n’ roll was near perfect, and I realized my friends were right when they said the band’s name

After Endless Boogie, I shuffled out to the Long View Center in the hopes I could catch a few minutes of Chatham County Line. The show was running behind, but the handful of gospel tunes I caught from the South Carolina Broadcasters were an excellent, gentle end to my evening.

Today’s schedule is pretty packed. Starting at noon is the 3Lobed Recordings and WXDU day party, then Gross Ghost kicking off the City Plaza shows later this evening. Last night was a great start, and I imagine it can only go up from here.

Chris, Assistant Dive Editor

Ah yes, the sound of hipsters aggressively shuffling through the streets of downtown Raleigh can only mean one thing: Hopscotch has returned! For the fourth consecutive year, the incredibly diverse festival is calling Raleigh home and its 2013 lineup is as eclectic as ever. Not only does the festival bring in acclaimed national (and international) acts, it also showcases the wealth of musical talent contained within the Triangle.

For my first show of the night, I was fortunate enough to catch Body Games, an exciting new band out of Carrboro. Playing to a packed crowd at the Pour House, the act provided dense electronic instrumentation behind vocalist Dax Beaton’s catchy melodies. The band was accompanied by soothing projections and an extensive lighting rig, which served to enrich Body Games’ dance grooves. After an endearing cover of Michael Jackson’s “Will You Be There,” I left the Pour House feeling energized and ready to experience all Hopscotch could offer.

I moseyed over to the near-silent Fletcher Opera Theater for the appropriately named Angel Olsen. The Chicago songstress’ wavering vocals recalled a somber Roy Orbison and I found myself captivated by her sparse, mournful tunes. Olsen’s bubbly personality was in sharp contrast with her weighty songs. At one point, she joked with the crowd about the quality of North Carolina burritos before diving into a cover of Mickey Newbury’s classic “Frisco Depot.”

Next up was Water Liars across town at Five Star. I’ve been following this Mississippi country-rock duo since stumbling upon their humble debut Phantom Limb earlier this year. The act’s normally restrained folk tunes were transformed into upbeat rockers thanks to a live bass player and a couple of Big Muff fuzz pedals. A highlight of their set was the jaunty “Linens” from their new LP Wyoming.

Following Water Liars’ set, I wandered to the nearby Contemporary Art Museum. I was able to catch the conclusion of Purling Hiss’ raucous set. The Philadelphia trio tore through distorted jams, complete with lengthy guitar solos and thundering drum rolls. The band was a little too jammy for my taste, but I hung around to catch the recently reunited Oblivians, true Memphis, Tenn. garage rock legends.

Oblivians’ set was definitely one that had to be experienced to fully appreciate. Greg Cartwright and company shuffled about the stage like much younger men as they fired off one garage punk jam after another. “Fire Detector,” off their latest release Desperation, nearly tore the roof off of CAM. It was an interesting sight to see middle-aged men and women moshing along to one of garage rock’s most celebrated acts. Oblivians’ roaring performance was a fitting conclusion to act one of North Carolina’s most diverse music festival.

With a plethora of day parties ahead of me on Friday, as well as City Plaza sets from local favorites Gross Ghost and Future Islands, it would appear that the festivities have only just begun.