Diversions

Movie Review: Thanks for Sharing

Thanks for Sharing
???

In “Thanks for Sharing,” the “sharing” factor may cross over into “TMI” territory as it plunges you into the lives of three very different sex addicts. While it’s a film full of truth, heartbreak and perseverance, think twice before seeing this one with the family. Even though the characters’ conditions are serious, the awkward moments cannot be ignored.

Adam (Mark Ruffalo) is a sex addict that has been “sober” for five years. He follows his daily routine, does his job well and somehow gets through each day. But when Phoebe (Gwyneth Paltrow) enters his life in search of a relationship, he may just fall off the wagon, not realizing that Phoebe has imperfections of her own.

Next is Tim Robbin as Mike, Adam’s sponsor. Mike is the good guy, the one that is the example for others to follow since he recovered from alcoholism as well as sex addiction many years ago. Since Mike is always looking to the future, he has blocked out his dirty past. But his former life begins to resurface when his misfit son shows up to remind him just how low he had been.

Last up is Neil (Josh Gad), the 20-something who realizes he needs help but refuses to put in the work to become sober. Through a newfound friendship with fellow therapy member Dede (Pink), Neil might just be able to put his life back together.

“Thanks for Sharing” is not exactly deserving of a standing ovation, but the movie is not a complete miss.

It’s hard to believe lovable Mark Ruffalo as a sex addict in the beginning since he seems so naturally harmless. But as his condition becomes more severe, he brilliantly plays a character with two very different sides to himself: the man and the addict.

Josh Gad was a good casting choice for Neil but he’s already been typecast as the overweight nerd with self-deprecating humor. Pink was really the stand out actor in this film. She picked a great role for her acting debut and evoked both tears and laughter.

In conclusion, thanks for sharing, but one viewing was enough.

Lizzie Goodell