Diversions

Music Review: Chvrches

Chvrches
The Bones of What You Believe
Synth pop
???1/2

With EDM and electronica continuing to gain popularity, it’s becoming increasingly difficult for synth pop groups to differentiate themselves.

However, Scottish trio Chvrches has proven to be the exception to that rule. Off the heels of a few infectious singles and a well-received EP, the dance-pop band has built a considerable amount of hype for its full-length debut, The Bones of What You Believe. Fortunately, Chvrches doesn’t squander the limelight, as the album is a solid first entry from a promising band.

Over the past year, Chvrches released “The Mother We Share” “Recover,” and “Gun” as the lead singles for its album. Each of these tracks captures the group at its best.

The warm, fleshed-out instrumentals and high-pitched vocals from frontwoman Lauren Mayberry collide to create energetic, instant highlights to the record.

Similarly, on “We Sink” and “Night Sky” — tracks that follow a similar blueprint — Chvrches is successful in crafting bubbly pop. But when the band deviates from this formula, the results are iffy.

While the instrumentals on the album go hand in hand with Mayberry’s delicate yet spirited singing, the same can’t be said for bandmate Martin Doherty.

His dull lead vocals on “Under the Tide” and “You Caught the Light” completely derail the momentum built throughout the album. Even when he backs up Mayberry, Doherty’s vocal contributions are spotty.

Additionally, when Chvrches strays from its fast-paced production, the songs fall short. “Tether” — a minimalist track that seems heavily influenced by The xx — feels stagnant.

The ambitious and ambient “You Caught the Light” drags, ending the album on a sour note.

With Chvrches relying on its proven pop formula, The Bones of What You Believe is a catchy and fun debut. But in order for the band to stay in the spotlight, it must find success experimenting with its tried and true musical blueprint.

James Stramm