Diversions

Music Review: Terry Malts

Terry Malts
Nobody Realizes This Is Nowhere
4 stars
Pop punk

Punk trio Terry Malts is a little bit loud and a whole lot of fun. Its full-length sophomore album, Nobody Realizes This Is Nowhere, is a quick, unapologetic slap to the eardrums with crashing percussion, fuzzed-out guitar chords and droning vocals.

The album’s introductory track “Two Faces” features an alarming opening, chiming for a full ten seconds before smashing into a heap of brash guitars and hurtling drums. Vocalist Phil Benson repeats “They’ve got two faces, two faces” for the entire track, but thanks to drummer Nathan Sweatt and guitarist Corey Cunningham, it’s hard to lose interest.

The album doesn’t skip a beat, flowing seamlessly to “Life’s A Dream,” a one-minute crash course on the combination of anger and hidden sensitivity. Benson’s speedy delivery of “Life’s a dream and I don’t want it. One man’s food is another’s vomit,” almost allows the listener to dismiss the sound for classic punk fury. But when paired with upbeat riffs and commanding percussion, the song takes on new depth.

Standout track “No Tomorrow” starts off with the static quote “I don’t care if it’s gonna fall apart tomorrow. I don’t remember yesterday. This is what we are doing now.” This unconventional opener draws the audience in for a refreshing — even light — song about living life in the moment.

Nobody Realizes This Is Nowhere forces you to take what you think you know about punk music and throw it right out the window.

What the album lacks in poetic lyrics and instrumental variety, it makes up for with raw energy and fun. Even if you think punk isn’t quite your thing, give this album a shot. You might really be surprised.