Diversions

Movie Review: Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor
???

“Lone Survivor” takes audiences’ breath away as they take an emotional roller coaster. The film reminds Americans of what the military is doing in a dramatically fashioned way.

The film based on the the story of Operation Red Wings, in which four Americans were sent on a military excursion to hunt down and, if necessary, kill an important figure in the Taliban who had the reputation of killing many soldiers. The film primarily features the operation itself and the effects of the soldiers being caught by their enemies.

The movie is not afraid to show blood, gore and brutality. Yet, these vivid images create a greater realism to the story being told. They bring audiences the same sense of pain that the soldiers are suffering in their most dire moments of need.

While it’s touching to see pictures of the real men who were part of the operation during the credits, “Lone Survivor” fails to emphasize the personality of each character during the film itself. This makes things confusing and creates a lack of compassion at points. Mark Wahlberg plays his part well, but is sometimes lost among the chaos. Nondescript soldiers may be good for an operation in real life, but lose value to the movie and those watching it.

There is a great sense of patriotism as well as fear that comes from watching “Lone Survivor.” It brings to question how much these troops truly willing to fight for what they believe in.

Jeremy Wile