Diversions

Music Review: Billie Joe and Norah

Billie Joe and Norah
Foreverly
???1/2
Country

Billie Joe Armstrong, the frontman for garage rock band Green Dayand Norah Jones, a solo artist with a raspy voice and a talent for the piano, are an unlikely pair. The two artists cover the Everly Brothers’1958 folk album Songs Our Daddy Taught Us on Foreverly.

Armstrong assuaged any reservations about his lack of country background by steadying his voice and injecting a bit of old-time twang to his vocals. His and Jones’ voices roll smoothly together with Jones adding a soft, feminine touch not heard on the original Everly Brothers LP.

Since the Everly Brothers only used acoustic guitars and an upright bass, the music could easily evolve. Armstrong and Jones strike a balance by sprinkling in lighthearted Delta blues piano and creating electric guitar solos while keeping the songs simple and antiquated.

The tune “Roving Gambler” is refreshed with the first-rate addition of the harmonica to offset the verses. In “Down in the Willow Garden,” Armstrong and Jones go for a more drastic change, substituting electric guitar for the acoustic to create a more haunting lullaby. But a few more changes could have been welcome to make the record more exciting and less of the same.

Overall, the record is well done with Jones contributing her skills on six instruments and Armstrong exploring a new sound. The duo does the Everly Brothers proud, striking fresh interest in the old and commanding the new.

Amanda Hayes