Dress Code

Sara Akhavan x Uniquities

Buy Photos

Wardrobe provided by Uniquities, a local store that has been providing mid to high-end clothing for ladies in Chapel Hill for over 19 years. Click through for more…

Sara is wearing

Only have one thing to say about this look – shorts with a cuff are a must this spring!

I have been thinking a fair bit about how people go about accumulating items for the wardrobe – how hard is it to find clothes that are right for you these days? My personal opinion regarding clothes is most probably very different from the popular opinion on campus, but I would be interested to hear what other people have to say about this. I am all about quality and craftsmanship; style means wearing pieces with longevity, clothes that can keep up with a hectic lifestyle and compliment me in all the right ways. I am definitely driven by brands, but I shoot for the ones that stand for something I care for – its not about ‘fitting in’ by displaying an animal of some variety on my chest – rather, the company has to embody attention to detail and solid fundamentals. Sounds expensive! But as I said, I want things that I will keep forever; is that too much to ask for? American Eagle and the like are just criminal in my opinion, ‘Made in Vietnam’ is just a turn-off, and why look just like the person sitting next to you? Well, that is another conversation altogether!

Anyway, stores like Uniquities may seem overpriced, but let’s focus on the positives. The space is perfect for trying on clothes – something that is imperative to any good purchase. Then the clothes they bring in are a real mix and where else around here are you going to find such a collection of designers? I think the current trend of collecting masses of ‘stuff’ (not just clothes) needs consideration. I implore you to go over to your wardrobe and be honest with yourself about the clothes you actually want to wear – I bet you will be surprised! So next time you want to find something special, give a shop like Uniquities a chance before cramming the shopping basket online.