Dress Code

Guys: Tips on dressing your best

To say senior Ken Jameson dresses well would be an understatement. With his dapper style and effortless charm, he has provided the dress code with great insight on men’s fashion. Ken is a member of student government, a managing associate of the Attorney General Staff, and chairman of the Feature Committee for senior marshals. After college, he said he hopes to work in business or finance.

What do style and fashion mean to you?

Ken: I don’t know if I would say I’m an expert on fashion. I was talking to my roommate a couple of days ago and he was asking me, ‘Why do you wear a collared shirt every day and all that?’ I think it’s a matter of respect. If I’m talking to an adult and I’m dressed well, they’ll take me more seriously than if I’m just wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt. I think that’s my main reason for doing it. I used to work at CVS during high school as a pharmacy technician. I was required to wear a shirt and tie every day for that, and I’ve kind of followed the pattern ever since.

Where you do you pull your inspiration from?

Ken: If anything it’s from what other people are wearing. If I like something that I see someone wearing, I will look for something similar. I like to wear something semi-bold but not something that will turn heads. Something that people will notice and looks great, but not be like ‘Wow, you’re wearing a yellow tie with a purple shirt and you look outrageous.’ I think one thing is to make sure to find stuff that fits you. I think that’s crucial.

Yeah, guys have that problem sometimes.

Ken: You can’t just go to the store and say, I’m a medium. Especially with dress clothes, you can get a tailored fit, a regular fit, different neck sizes and shirt sleeve lengths, different types of colors, multiple ways to button – it just needs to match what you think is appropriate.

Are there any specific brands that you like?

Ken: I have a mix of different things. J Crew is definitely one of my standbys, and I think Nordstrom’s has a lot of great brands. As far as dress clothes, I studied abroad in Hong Kong, and I had a lot of custom shirts and suits made. Those are some of my favorite clothes that I have. As far as suits, Hugo Boss is a really good brand. I like jeans a lot too, Joes or Sevens.

What would you suggest to other guys for dressing well?

Ken: Try to spend time doing it. Put effort into it because it is really not that hard, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. The people at the stores are more than willing to tell you what matches and what looks good together. Go shopping with your mom. No matter how much you don’t want her to shop for you, she actually has pretty good taste.

P.S. Don’t forget to follow us on twitter! #fashionalldaylong