Tales from the Old North State

?The week ahead, March 31 - April 6

Looking to learn more about North Carolina and the southern experience? Every week, Tales from the Old North State will feature events in and around the area that highlight the history and culture of N.C.

Bluegrass Jam

What: Performance

When: March 31, 5:45 p.m.

Where: The ArtsCenter, Carrboro

Bring your fiddle, banjo, mandolin or guitar to this casual bluegrass jam where musicians of all skill levels are invited to join in a chord progression and meet other musicians in the area.

North Carolina Beer Month

What: Festival

When: April

Where: N.C.

Spend April celebrating craft breweries and beer from across the state during N.C. Beer Month. From the coast to the mountains, N.C. has more than 100 craft breweries and a constantly growing beer culture. Explore the beer scene for yourself through beer-centric trips and dozens of festivities throughout the month.

Music with Murphy Hicks Henry

What: Performance and lecture

When: April 3, performance at noon and lecture at 4:30 p.m.

Where: Performance at Love House, lecture at Wilson Library Pleasants Family Assembly Room

Banjo virtuoso Murphy Hicks Henry will perform on the porch of the Love House at noon Thursday. Henry will be joined by her sisters Nancy Pate on guitar and Laurie Tanner on bass for some traditional bluegrass music. Later that afternoon Henry will present a lecture titled “Steel-String Magnolias: Women in Bluegrass” that examines the often overlooked contributions of women to bluegrass music.

SOHP Anniversary Celebration

What: Tour and Presentations

When: April 4, 1 p.m.

Where: Wilson Library Pleasants Family Assembly

The Southern Oral History Program is turning 40! The celebration begins with an oral history walking tour of campus, followed by presentations by SOHP Director Malinda Maynor Lowery, SOHP Founder Jacquelyn Hall, Field Scholar Jessie Wilkerson and many others who are affiliated with the program. The festivities conclude with hors d’oeuvres and cake served at 5 p.m.