The Onyen

UNC administration considers closing Phillips Hall because no one likes it

The UNC Hall & Building Committee met on Monday to discuss potentially closing Phillips Hall in response to an overwhelming amount of complaints about the building from students and faculty.

“They just keep coming,” committee member and psychology professor Christina Alpine explained. “Our inboxes are flooded with complaints about buildings, and an overwhelming amount are about Phillips Hall. So we had to call a meeting.”

During the meeting, other committee members agreed that their inboxes were also swamped with complaints about Phillips Hall.

“I leave my email open during the day and it’s dinging constantly,” committee member JoeBob Topo said. “Just one after the other, all day long. ‘Ding, ding, ding!’ And they’re all about Phillips. All of them!”

Committee members said that many of the complaints about Phillips were about its interior and its “vibe.”

“The place just has a bad vibe, you know?” said senior Hillary Linda. “You just walk in and it’s this cold feeling. The last time I had that feeling was when I was in a morgue for a science class.”

“Closing Phillips Hall would only be a last-resort action,” said committee chair Moe Artisan. “But with all of these endless complaints, it just might be worth it. I looked into historical records of our committee and it turns out people have been complaining about Phillips since it opened in 1918.”

The committee will continue their discussion about potentially closing Phillips during their next meeting — no decision has been made yet.