View from the Hill

Could Richard Burr's opposition to the shutdown backfire?

The split among congressional Republicans over whether it was wise to tie defund the Affordable Care while continuing to fund the government has been on display in North Carolina.

In the Senate, Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., rejected the idea and called it “the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard.”

But Burr’s position puts him at odds with the state’s House Republicans, who all were supportive of the plan.

In fact, some House Republicans have not just embraced the move to tie defunding with a continuing resolution, but have led the effort.

Last August, Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., drew up the original letter asking Speaker John Boehner, R-OH, to include the defunding of the Affordable Care Act to any continuing resolutions to fund the government.

While Burr does not face re-election until 2016, and won his last campaign by a wide margin, his opposition could lead to him facing a tough primary challenge.

Furthermore, a July study by Public Policy Polling found Burr’s approval only 35 percent and his disapproval rating at 38 percent. If Burr faces a primary challenge, he could possibly be weakened by the general election.