Open Eye Caf? opens eyes to coffee tasting

openeye
Bee Barth sips a cup of speciality coffee at a coffee tasting lesson hosted by Scott Conary" the owner of Open Eye Caf_ in Carrboro.

When appreciating a fine cup of coffee it's not rude to slurp a little.

When he's tasting with the professionals slurps are all that Scott Conary hears.

Conary owner of the Open Eye Café and Carrboro Coffee Company is offering monthly classes to teach local residents the art of coffee growing" roasting and tasting.

Thursday's class was Coffee Tasting 101.

""People like the way coffee tastes" but they often want to know what it is they drink and how it got there" Conary said.

In an intimate gathering Thursday night, Conary taught locals to first sniff the coffee with an open mouth, then throw it to the back of the throat and savor the aftertaste.

The Learning Series Coffee Classes, offered every fourth Thursday, seek to instill an appreciation of the brewing process that precedes every cup of coffee. Topics include tasting coffee, brewing coffee, preparing espresso and tea tasting.

We drink a lot of coffee"" said Chapel Hill resident Liz Delong, sitting next to her husband, David. Some mornings it's good" and some mornings it's not" and we wanted to learn how to make sure it's always good.""

Delong and her fellow students sniffed and sloshed it" savoring the smell taste and body of five varieties.

They were taught to focus on six factors — fragrance aroma taste nose aftertaste and body.

And after they familiarize themselves with the different options coffee enthusiasts should know where to get the right roasts" Conary said.

Carrboro Coffee Company roasts batches of beans each morning in the rear of the cafe's building.

""Coffee is so much about time and place" Conary said. I just want people to understand the long chain the hundreds of hands" that touch the coffee from the ground to your cup.""

From the farmers to the local baristas" coffee's journey spans several years before it ever reaches a cup" Conary said.

Conary's been from South America to Africa to test the quality of different roasts. He stressed the universality of coffee.

""People may disagree about a lot of things" but coffee really brings them together Conary said. In the end really" coffee is really about the taste.""

After she retires" Carrboro resident Bee Barth dreams of opening her own coffee shop in Montezuma Costa Rica" to be near the fresh air and the mountains. And the coffee.

""People always ask me what I like about coffee"" Barth said. I like coffee like I like men: strong and straight.""

ATTEND THE EVENTS
Time:
7 p.m. every 4th Thursday
Location: Open Eye Cafe"" Carrboro
Next Month: ""Coffee Equipment & Home Use"" (Oct. 23)
RSVP at coffeescott@gmail.com

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.