Nick Andersen Staff Writer

smoking
News

Smoking ban changes culture

Sophomore Kathryn Westall began smoking this summer. When she returned to Chapel Hill in the fall continuing her new habit came with strict limitations. Westall and other smokers on campus have been at the center of a yearlong debate over smoking within the confines of the University.

disco
News

Students dance to beats of their own

Cassie Butler and Lucas Wood don't know each other. But that didn't stop them from dancing together in the center of Polk Place. Sharing iPod headphones dance moves and laughs more than a dozen students gathered Wednesday afternoon for a silent disco put on by Carolina Union Activities Board's campus voice and exposure committees.

News

Hagan's daughter helps out

When she was 13 years old" senior Carrie Hagan's carpool rides to soccer practice included discussions about the latest bills passed in the state senate. ""Mom would ask all of us our opinions" Carrie said. I was embarrassed for my friends" but I really cared — I was really interested.""

recyclery
News

Recycle a bike

""Bikes are simple machines and are simple to fix."" The mantra found on a painted wooden board on the ReCYCLEry wall repeated in my head. As I struggled to roll a loop of inner tubing onto a rusty bike wheel" I hoped the crowd of qualified mechanics and highly-skilled preteens working on other projects would be able to help me.

Excitement
News

Fan excitement grows

Sophomore Andrew Pate has tailgated at the same parking space off Stadium Drive since he was five weeks old. This fall he's noticed new neighbors. The larger crowds are a response to the excitement of what could be UNC's most successful season in years. So far the team is boasts an overall 4-1 record.

openeye
News

Open Eye Caf? opens eyes to coffee tasting

When appreciating a fine cup of coffee it's not rude to slurp a little. When he's tasting with the professionals slurps are all that Scott Conary hears. Conary owner of the Open Eye Café and Carrboro Coffee Company is offering monthly classes to teach local residents the art of coffee growing roasting and tasting.

smoking
News

Social smoking endures

It didn't always take sophomore Christine Norris an hour to smoke a cigarette. But now that the campus smoking ban has corralled smokers into the center of Polk Place" she ends up staying to talk to fellow smokers. ""It's now a social experience"" Norris said.

More articles »