Students dance to beats of their own

disco
Sophomores Yasmeen Zamamiri and Rana Alkhaldi share an iPod while dancing in Polk Place at the CUAB hosted silent disco.

Cassie Butler and Lucas Wood don't know each other. But that didn't stop them from dancing together in the center of Polk Place.

Sharing iPod headphones dance moves and laughs" more than a dozen students gathered Wednesday afternoon for a silent disco put on by Carolina Union Activities Board's campus voice and exposure committees.

""The exposure committee is all about people getting together" building relationships through more personal events" said Butler, a chairwoman of the group.

With the silent disco"" we wanted people to get out of the box they build around themselves and have fun.""

In a silent disco" dancers gather in a public space armed with iPods earphones and a general disregard for social norms.

Silent discos have spread across Europe Canada and the U.S. with large-scale events in downtown areas of New York and Boston.

Wednesday's event was inspired in part by a silent disco tent held at Nashville's Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival" said campus voice Chairwoman Gabriella Miyares.

""We wanted an event that would bring people together in creative self-expression"" Miyares said. I feel really liberated.""

Social networking sites" such as Facebook" helped spread awareness about the movement.

""I saw the event on Facebook" and thought to myself ‘What a perfect excuse to get silly in public"'"" sophomore Yasmeen Zamamiri said. ""I just love to dance.""

As the silent disco quietly raged on throughout the afternoon"" passing students gave the dancers strange looks and cat calls.

""Are y'all in a Mac commercial?"" one bemused student asked as he hurried by.

Other students gently smiled as they watched the wild movements of the dancers.

""I mean" I like dancing in clubs and parties" senior Jennifer Durham said as she walked towards Lenoir. But I wouldn't join in. I'd be too embarrassed.""

A couple of brave students were encouraged to participate.

""I wish this was a weekly event" sophomore Tyler Lockney said. I saw everybody out here and if people are dancing together like this" why not join in?""

Other dancers pulled in friends off bikes and in a hurry to class"" and a giggling group of high schoolers touring campus joined in a spontaneous and music-free dance party.

The committees hope to host more silent discos in the future. Most of the dancers Wednesday pledged their support for more mute dances.

""These days" we are all really tired of studying" said junior Courtney Huffines, dancing in a wild circle with two friends. Everyone should be able to get out and just dance.""

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.