When she was 13 years old"" senior Carrie Hagan's carpool rides to soccer practice included discussions about the latest bills passed in the state senate.

""Mom would ask all of us our opinions" Carrie said. I was embarrassed for my friends" but I really cared — I was really interested.""

As her mother" Kay Hagan runs for U.S. Senate Carrie has taken an active role in the campaign" speaking at events across the state and rallying her friends to vote.

""It's been a wild roller coaster ride"" Carrie said. She took the first semester of her senior year off to work on her mother's campaign.

Kay Hagan, a fifth-term state senator from Greensboro, is the Democratic challenger for a national Senate seat against Republican incumbent Elizabeth Dole.

The race has garnered national attention as North Carolina proves to be a swing state in the presidential election.

The excitement surrounding my mom is crazy" Carrie said Monday after a day spent at campaign events. Mom introduced Joe Biden at a rally today and this morning we were in a Starbucks and she was on the front page of USA Today. And of course" I really freaked out when Katie Couric called to set up an interview.""

Carrie always has taken an active interest in her mother's career.

""Ever since her mom first ran for state senate" Carrie's been excited about politics" said longtime Hagan family friend Molly Brenner, a UNC senior. She got our friends interested" too" by putting up signs and getting people to vote.""

Carrie also served as a fundraising committee co-chairwoman for the UNC Young Democrats.

Along with her father and two older siblings"" Carrie often serves as a surrogate representative for her mother at public events.

""I think it says a lot about our mother and our family that both of my sisters and I were willing to drop our lives to help our mother run for Senate" Carrie's brother Tilden Hagan said. Tilden deferred enrollment in UNC's medical school to do campaign work.

Kay Hagan said she appreciates her family's passion and energy.

Carrie went to an opening of a music enrichment program for youth in Durham and was so moved that she went home and found an old trumpet and a trombone in our attic to donate" Kay Hagan said. She's truly been a wonderful asset to have.""

It's been equally rewarding to see the effects Kay has had on voters"" Carrie noted.

""I'm amazed at the reactions of these other people who have never even met her" Carrie said. A woman came up to my mom at an event and said" ‘I want you to know that I believe in you.'""

But Carrie is ready for the campaign to be over" she said. She's enjoyed the work but is looking forward to going back to finish college. She has no political plans in her future" but she encourages other students to get involved in the election process.

""It's truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be a part of one of the biggest election years in recent history"" she said. It will feel great to know that we helped shape what will happen in the future.""

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.