Fan excitement grows

Excitement
Stands at Saturday?s game against the University of Connecticut were almost at full capacity" with 59500 out of 60000 seats sold. Families and fans arrived on site as early as 8 a.m. Saturday to stake out the best tailgating locations before the 7 p.m. kickoff.

Due to editing errors this story has several errors. The story incorrectly refers to Sosei Nakasuji a barista at Jack Sprat Cafe" as a ""she."" Nakasuji is a man.  The story also incorrectly states why ticket distribution for Saturday's game against Notre Dame was implemented. Officials decided on a lottery before the season began.
The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the errors.

Sophomore Andrew Pate has tailgated at the same parking space off Stadium Drive since he was five weeks old. This fall" he's noticed new neighbors.

The larger crowds are a response to the excitement of what could be UNC's most successful season in years. So far the team is boasts an overall 4-1 record.

Stands during Saturday's game against Connecticut were almost at full capacity with 59500 of 60000 seats sold. Student seats have run out for the last three home games prompting the University to enforce a student ticket lottery for select games including the Oct. 11 game against Notre Dame.

Still the enthusiasm is relative. Although UNC's football following is growing" the mania that sweeps other college towns is absent from Chapel Hill.

""We're a basketball school" Pate said. It will take a long time to displace that or reach a similar status with football. Until we start winning national championships we'll never be a UGa." a Michigan-type football town.""

In Athens" Ga. home to the Georgia Bulldogs football fans start arriving on Thursday morning for a Saturday game said Leland Barrow" assistant sports communication director at UGa.

""By Friday" there's not too much green space left on campus he said. Tailgating parties cover the grounds for the duration of a typical Saturday game.

The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor sees similar crowds on home game days.

The whole campus is pumped" said Hannah Jacobson, a first-year at Michigan. Every yard is covered in Maize and Blue"" and everything downtown is packed with people.""

For other large public universities with traditionally successful football teams"" Saturdays during football season are a boost for local businesses and school spirit.

""There are over 100"000 people who attend each home game" said Jesse Bernstein, president and CEO of the Ann Arbor Chamber of Commerce. Football has just become deeply ingrained into the local business flow.""

UNC and the town of Chapel Hill are trying to move the stadium crowd downtown. Touch Downtown" a program started this season" encourages fans to visit businesses.

""We wanted to make it easier for fans to make Carolina football a day or even weekend-long event"" said Rick Steinbacher, associate director for marketing and promotions. It's really a win-win-win situation — a win for the fans"" a win for the community and a win for the football team and athletes.""

Business was slow on Franklin Street before and during Saturday's game. Some bars were nearly empty" and restaurants had vacant tables signs that UNC's football culture is still developing.

Pregame activities and game days in downtown Columbus Ohio" are a different story.

""I normally start drinking about 10:30" Ohio State University senior Rob Conley said. The bars" traffic — everything is packed.""

But Sosei Nakasuji" a barista at Jack Sprat Cafe said that while pregame activity is low" she has noticed increased sales after games.

""We're doing double" triple the usual volume on Saturdays" Nakasuji said.

Surrounding Kenan Stadium before Saturday's game, about 50 tailgating parties took place in cars and under tents.

And that number is growing. New tailgaters joined a core of dedicated football supporters for pregame festivities.

We tailgate every game"" said UNC alumna Martha Barnes, tending to a small spread of snacks and drinks with her husband, Russ. It's great that we're winning more often now"" and there is definitely a brighter atmosphere around the field.""

Coach Butch Davis noted the increased enthusiasm at a press conference after Saturday's game.

""Our players mentioned the fact today that it was probably the biggest crowd in two years"" Davis said.

UNC's football team hasn't been to a bowl game since 2004 and hasn't won the Atlantic Coast Conference since 1980.

But a larger fan base will come with winning games, Davis said.

If you want to build a program" that's the quickest" best way.""

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.