When he enrolled in a journalism class three years ago at N.C. State University Walter Mack tried hard not to be a conspicuous presence in the classroom.

But Mack a retired journalist" is 75 years old and stands out among bright-eyed young college students.

""The professor wouldn't let me hide"" Mack said. He knew I had experience in the field and could tie it in to what he was teaching.""

Mack" a Chapel Hill resident" is part of a growing trend in the Triangle: retired citizens adding to the university scene while taking advantage of its resources.

""There are a lot of big draws to living in a college town for retired people"" said Jerry Passmore, director of the Orange County Department of Aging.

The academic"" cultural and medical benefits of living in a university community are pretty significant.""

Since the 1970s" retirees have flocked to college towns drawn to the intellectual stimulation and culturally active lifestyles so common there.

As the Baby Boomer generation passes retirement age this migration is becoming more pronounced.

Five years ago when Tom Minor69 and his wife were looking for a place to retire" these benefits attracted them to Chapel Hill even though they had no connections to the area.

""We're people of modest means"" Minor said.

We looked at the University community as a way to help keep us young.""

The Minors are not alone. According to the U.S. Census Bureau" the median age in Chapel Hill is 26 — almost nine years lower than the national average. But the percentage of the population more than 65 years old is roughly the same in the town as it is in the country at large.

Other college towns such as Ann Arbor Mich. and Charlottesville Va. also have booming retiree communities" officials said.

""The retiree community in Charlottesville is very sizable"" said Jennifer Oppenheimer, director of enrichment programs and marketing for the University of Virginia School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

It's a beautiful place"" the weather is great and the university is here.""

For the 10 percent of Chapel Hill's population over 65 years of age"" the University offers more than just lectures and concerts.

""Life is just easier in a college town for a retired person"" said Sophie Schiffman, 81, who has lived in Chapel Hill for 44 years. The people we meet are always interesting. They share our values and are very friendly.""

Schiffman and her husband tried living in a retirement community in Durham but quickly realized they missed the bustle of a university town.

""We really took Chapel Hill for granted" Schiffman said. The easier living" the convenient shopping. There's just so much available here.""

For North Carolina residents who are more than 65 years old" those opportunities include the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver.

Any North Carolina resident more than 65 years old can enroll in classes for free in the UNC system said Timothy Sanford" associate director for credit programs at the Friday Center for Continuing Education.

""There's quite a range of reasons people use the waiver"" Sanford said. About 25 residents used the waiver at UNC in the 2007-08 academic year, he said.

Maybe you're trying to finish a degree" or get a master's or doctorate" or maybe you've always wanted to study Shakespeare.""

Students in these classes gain from exposure to their older classmates"" Sanford added.

""These senior citizens can offer a broader perspective on society" because they've lived life they did things the students can only read about" he said.

Oppenheimer noted the value of nontraditional students, such as retirees, in classes.

They bring so much enthusiasm. They're in class because they really want to be"" she said.

Retirees truly can be a resource for university life, said Bobbie Lubker, former president of the UNC Retired Faculty Association.

We have a lot to offer"" Lubker said. We're not just sitting around darning socks­.""

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.