Tar Heel field hockey aiming for 7th national title

Field Hockey vs. Wake Forest
Field Hockey vs. Wake Forest

When the North Carolina field hockey team takes on Michigan in its season opener Saturday, UNC will face more than the Wolverines. They’ll also be competing against the pressure that comes with the Tar Heels’ potential.

After a devastating double-overtime loss to Maryland in the national championship game last season, UNC is primed for another title run in 2011.

The six-time national champion Tar Heels are the favorites in the ACC, boast three players on the Preseason All-ACC team and will enter the season ranked No. 2 in the nation.

With such high expectations, the Tar Heels are not holding back on their goals for the season.

“We would love to win the ACC championship because we haven’t done that in a few years,” junior Caitlin Van Sickle said. “But I think one of our higher goals is to be undefeated. I think our team has the potential to be pretty great.”

But with a tough schedule in 2011, the Tar Heels’ goal of perfection might be hard to come by.

North Carolina will play seven of the preseason top-20 this year, including a much-anticipated rematch with defending national champion Maryland on Oct. 22.

The team’s goals are lofty, and the pressure will be on head coach Karen Shelton to keep the Tar Heels focused on the field.

“Were a much better team this year than we were last year,” Shelton said. “We want to win the national championship. But if we think we are already there, then we are in trouble. What we don’t want to do this season is talk about the end. We want to focus on each game and practice as they present themselves.”

Returning to the field in 2011 are National Player of the Year candidates Katelyn Falgowski and Kelsey Kolojejchick as well as 2010 ACC Defensive Player of the Year Van Sickle.

North Carolina’s roster is overflowing with individual accolades, but the focus is still on the team.

“I would really like to be an All-American four years in a row,” Kolojejchick said. “I would love to be National Player of the Year. But most of all I want to win the national championship.

As disappointing as the double-overtime loss in last season’s national championship game was, it’s become just as much of a motivating factor for this year’s squad.

“It doesn’t matter what you’ve done, where you have been or what someone expects us to do,” Shelton said.

“It’s what you do next. As long as we focus on the process of the entire season, and enjoy the journey, I think we can make our own destiny, and that gives us a lot of confidence.”

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.