Beethoven’s symphonies coming to Memorial Hall in their original form

8183_1111_orchestra_hammerf.jpg
Memorial Hall promotes this weekends visit by Orchestre Révolutionnaire Romantique to UNC. The world renown orchestra will be performing Beethoven in a form similar to the way his music would have originally been performed. To promote this students from UNC passed out Beethoven themed stickers and pieces of a Beethoven face-cake. Students had the oppurtunity to take their picture with Beethoven (Jo Saberniak) as he ran around Memorial Hall handing out flyers and asking passerbys what decade it was.

Beethoven’s 19th century classical and romantic music is coming to Memorial Hall.

The Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique, an acclaimed orchestra from the United Kingdom, specializes in playing Beethoven exactly the way it was composed, played and heard in the 19th century before the composer became deaf.

They will be in Chapel Hill for a two-day performance Saturday and Sunday on their first stop of a four-city U.S. tour.

The orchestra uses some instruments that have been preserved from the 19th century, including Baroque violins and woodwind instruments — like clarinets — without modern mechanisms.

Emil Kang, executive director for the arts, said the opportunity to experience Beethoven’s music the way he heard it is an exclusive opportunity.

“I can’t think of a better ensemble for this orchestra to play,” he said. “It represents the pinnacle of all orchestra performances.”

The orchestra will play four of Beethoven’s symphonies over two nights nearly 20 years after their celebrated recording of Beethoven’s entire collection of symphonies.

This tour marks the first performance of the symphonies since the recordings were made.

“You can imagine being in Germany in 1808, as Beethoven heard it,” he said.

Carolina Performing Arts has been determined to host the orchestra since 2005.

For six years, they worked to make Chapel Hill an attractive tour spot for big-name groups.

After Chapel Hill, the orchestra will travel to Philadelphia, New York and Washington D.C., before returning to Europe.

“They are trying to recreate what the composer heard in that period. It’s a fascinating experience for people to hear that,” said Tonu Kalam, music director and conductor of the UNC Symphony Orchestra.

The orchestra’s style is one that is difficult to be imitated or mimicked because the group needs both the period instruments and musicians with the skill and capacity to play them, Kalam said.

“It’s a very specialized niche,” he said.

“You either do it or you don’t.”

Contact the Arts Editor

at arts@dailytarheel.com.