Wendy’s expected to open in the Union by August

10886_0221_unionentrance_towlef.jpg
The bottom entrance of the Student Union on South Road is undergoing construction.

The South Road entrance to the Student Union will be closed for roughly the next eight weeks, marking one of the first visible steps in bringing a 24-hour Wendy’s to campus.

Construction on the fast food restaurant will begin when the current Union renovations are completed in May, said Scott Myers, director of food and vending for Carolina Dining Services.

Myers said he expects the Wendy’s to open in August in time for Week of Welcome.

Carolina Dining Services plans to hire as many students as possible to work in the new restaurant, he said, especially since the late night hours won’t conflict with class schedules.

The new Wendy’s will cost $1.7 million, $1.5 million of which will come from student fees. The remaining money will be provided by Auxiliary Services, Myers said.

The other changes in the Union are part of an ongoing $7 million renovation project, which will bring the building in compliance with health and safety codes, said Tony Patterson, senior associate director of the Union.

“It won’t look a ton different,” he said.

The renovations, which are limited to the bottom floor, will include new flooring and carpeting and the installation of new fire alarms and sprinkler heads, said Scott Hudson, senior associate director of operations for the Union.

The renovations represent phase one of planned renovations to the Union. Phase two, which would have added more meeting rooms and a performance space, was voted down in a referendum last year.

Hudson said phase one will remove the Cabaret, expand lounge space and add new meeting rooms in the building’s east wing.

Patterson said the first-floor multipurpose room, which UNC Student Television had used as a studio, will be split in half. STV will be granted exclusive use of a portion of the space, and the remainder will be allotted for the Union’s marketing and design department.

Jordan Powell, a junior journalism major, said he is excited for the new restaurant.

“Wendy’s — that’s all we need,” he said.

Paul Hartley, general manager of Alpine Bagel Cafe, said he doesn’t think Wendy’s will affect business, even though Alpine is now the only food venue in the Union. He said the differences in the products will ensure customers for both restaurants.

“People can’t get enough of the Alpine bagel,” he said.

Ryan Volatile, a junior business major, said he is excited about the new Wendy’s but thinks the other changes are unnecessary.

“There’s plenty of meeting space already,” he said. “You can always meet in empty classrooms at night.”

Savannah Helvey, a junior biology and education major, said she doesn’t think UNC needs a Wendy’s.

Helvey said it detracts from the fair-trade missions of places like Alpine Bagel Cafe and 1.5.0.

She also said the renovations seem unnecessary.

“There are rooms in Davis (Library) people don’t always utilize,” she said. “(The renovations) might not be the best use of space or students’ money.”

Contact the University Editor ?at university@dailytarheel.com.