Housekeepers ask for harassment by management to be addressed

The struggle between the University’s lowest paid employees and their managers has existed for decades.

And even as UNC implements sweeping housekeeping reforms, suggested last year by an outside consultant’s report, flare-ups of allegations persist.

A group of housekeepers is planning to file a grievance today citing verbal harassment by a zone manager and a crew leader to be named in the grievance, said Zaina Alsous, a member of the UNC club Student Action with Workers.

Members of the club, which has been an advocate for University housekeepers for several years, have been meeting with housekeepers during the past few months, said Alsous, who is also a columnist for The Daily Tar Heel.

She said several housekeepers who work the 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift contacted the student group about problems with their zone manager and crew leader.

Neither the zone manager nor the crew leader could be reached by phone or email Tuesday.

Director of Housekeeping Services Darius Dixon, who started at the position in April, said the issues are being addressed.

“Everybody’s been on top of that for a long time … coming up with the appropriate response,” he said.

In September 2011, PRM Consulting Group released a report suggesting more than 45 changes to improve the culture of the housekeeping department.

Administrators have been implementing the reforms, which include the formation of a peer advisory council of housekeepers and English language training.

Alsous said housekeepers notified the University of the issues two or three months ago, but she said there has been no apparent response.

In the past month, five workers have left the zone to escape the harassment, Alsous said. She said the housekeepers want the zone manager fired and the crew leader demoted back to a regular housekeeper position.

Laurel Ashton, another member of Student Action with Workers, said the problem is managerial abuse of power.

“One of the big issues is just general disrespect,” she said.

Alsous said the crew leader — who reports to the zone manager — yells at the housekeepers she works with and micromanages them.

“She has made workers cry,” she said.

The crew leader and zone manager also mock housekeepers with limited English skills, she said.

Members of Student Action with Workers planned to meet with housekeepers at 3 a.m. this morning to finalize the language of the grievance.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.