Vote yes on the fee for renewable energy

Since 2003, every UNC student has paid $4 per semester to fund renewable energy and sustainability initiatives at our University.

With this fee, students have funded numerous projects on almost every part of campus.

Some you can’t even see: biodiesel in the P2P and the U/RU buses, Energy Star-rated kitchen appliances in the top of Lenoir, efficiency upgrades in many of the ventilation systems on campus.

Others, you’ve probably noticed in one way or another: posters in laundry rooms and labs, solar panels on top of Morrison, the LEDs that illuminate the Pit and Rams Head Plaza at night.

Whether we see them or not, these types of projects are a primary reason that this University is recognized as a national and global leader in its commitment to the environment.

The model of a renewable energy fee has since been adopted at universities across the country.

This fee supports projects on campus that help counteract global climate change, reduce energy scarcity and educate students about energy and sustainability.

All of these aspects should concern a student body committed to addressing the world’s most pressing issues.

UNC students have voted twice in favor of paying the renewable energy fee, and on Tuesday we will vote yet again. We will be voting “yes” to renew it, and ask you to as well.

Laura Brush ’13
Representative
Student Congress District 7

Eric Scheier ‘14
Renewable energy special projects committee member