Greek organizations will be in the discussion again during the upcoming Board of Trustees meeting, regarding how the University should approach their GPA requirements. It is clear that the best course of action moving forward would be to set a more permanent standard minimum GPA requirement for all Greek organizations.

The campuswide GPA average is constantly in a state of flux. Setting a minimum standard would eliminate any issues related to an always-changing GPA.

Greek councils should work together in order to determine a fair minimum GPA standard. The minimum shouldn’t be a lofty goal that is set in order to weed out Greek organizations, but rather a limit that will challenge students in the classroom and not be unreasonable to attain.

The councils should ensure that they collaborate in their dialogue with the Board of Trustees, as well as with various leaders from all corners of the campus community.

Additionally, there is no average GPA requirement for most other groups on campus, and the ones that have one, like football, don’t mandate a GPA that is higher than the campus average. Greek organizations should not be treated any differently.

It is imperative that the trustees put any preconceived notions of Greeks aside and encourage discussion about a fair minimum GPA standard for Greeks.