UNC men's basketball lands Belmont sharpshooter Cade Tyson in the transfer portal

Belmont contrib
Cade Tyson shoots the ball in a Belmont men's basketball game versus Georgia State on November 6, 2023 in Nashville, TN. Photo courtesy of Belmont Athletics.

Belmont men’s basketball transfer Cade Tyson announced his commitment to UNC on Sunday afternoon, per his social media.

The 6-foot-7 wing averaged 16.2 points and 5.9 rebounds for the Bruins last season, shooting 46.5 percent from three — ranking second nationally — on 5.5 attempts per game. He also shot 85.5 percent from the free throw line.

Wings Cormac Ryan, who is no longer eligible to play and Harrison Ingram who has declared for the NBA draft are both departing from UNC and combined for over half of the Tar Heels’ 3-point production last season.

Tyson is predicted to make an instant impact in UNC’s rotation with his sharpshooting abilities. The Monroe, N.C. native, was named the Missouri Valley Conference Freshman of the Year in the 2022-2023, following it up with a strong sophomore campaign with MVC All-Conference Second Team honors. Tyson has two years of eligibility remaining.

Prior to his two-season stint at Belmont, Tyson was named North Carolina’s Mr. Basketball in 2022. His brother, Hunter, played five years at Clemson and currently plays for the Denver Nuggets.

@danielhwei

Daniel Wei

Daniel Wei is a 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a senior writer. Daniel is a junior pursuing a double major in business administration and economics.