UNC men’s basketball’s Harrison Ingram declares for NBA Draft

untitled-26.jpg
UNC junior forward Harrison Ingram (55) watches a free throw during the NCAA tournament second round game against Michigan State on Saturday, March 23, 2024, at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, N.C.

Harrison Ingram has declared for the NBA Draft, the UNC men’s basketball forward announced on Saturday via his Instagram.

Ingram, who transferred to UNC this past year after two seasons at Stanford, averaged 12.2 points and shot 38.5 percent from three in his first season with the Tar Heels after transferring from Stanford. His 65 3-pointers on the year ranked third behind RJ Davis (113) and Cormac Ryan (75). Additionally, Ingram’s 10.9 rebounds per game during ACC play led the conference.

Due to his high motor and enthusiasm, Ingram quickly established himself as a fan favorite in Chapel Hill.

"I would first like to thank my family and God for their sacrifices and support throughout my life," Ingram wrote in his announcement. "To Coach Davis and the rest of the coaching staff, I want to thank you for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to play and represent the University of North Carolina. You instilled a lot of confidence in me and allowed me to be great. To my teammates, you made this year special for me. I also want to thank the fans and all of Tar Heel Nation; the support was awesome.”

After a lackluster 2023 season in which the Tar Heels posted the ACC’s worst 3-point percentage, Ingram was brought in as a versatile floor spacer and playmaker. Not only were his 65 threes the most of any forward, his 80 assists also tabbed at third on the team and most of any frontcourt player.

“His personality brings something that nobody on the team can bring,” Hubert Davis said after UNC’s 85-69 win over Michigan State in the NCAA tournament. “It brings confidence. It brings joy. It brings happiness, seriousness, competitiveness. His game and his personality is exactly what this team and this program needed this year.”

The Dallas native also demonstrated a robust inside game throughout the season with back-to-the-basket backdowns, elevating North Carolina’s inside-out philosophy to more than just Armando Bacot posting up and providing another layer of scoring for UNC alongside ACC Player of the Year RJ Davis.

Ingram scored 20 points or more five times and grabbed at least 13 boards nine times. Notable performances include dropping 20 points on then-No. 10 Tennessee, 21 points on 5-of-9 3-point shooting in his first game against Duke and 17 points on 5-of-7 shooting from distance over Michigan State.

@danielhwei

Daniel Wei

Daniel Wei is a 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a senior writer. Daniel is a junior pursuing a double major in business administration and economics.