Q&A with author and UNC alumnus Dean Roughton

UNC alumnus Dean Roughton just released his book of humorous essays. “Life 101” is based on his time in college.

Dean Roughton, who graduated from UNC in 1997, recently released his new book of humorous essays titled “The Most Educated Idiot I Know.”

Roughton spoke with staff writer Gabriella Cirelli about the inspiration behind his essays, which draw from his childhood experiences to his role as a parent and professor.

DAILY TAR HEEL: Why did you choose to write a humorous essay book?

DEAN ROUGHTON: It probably started or at least has origins with my blog, which is a humor blog that started out as a single parenting blog, but then became a whatever-funny-happens-in-my-life blog. That was definitely the original impetus, but I also tend to use humor for everything, even in the classroom.

DTH: Do you have a favorite essay?

DR: I don’t know that I do — there are so many different ones that reflect different aspects of my life, and it’s hard to pick a favorite part of your life. Every single one is some unique, silly story about something stupid that happened or something stupid or crazy that I did either on purpose or by accident.

So there’s a little bit of everything.

DTH: Are any of the essays about being at UNC?

DR: There is one, and it’s entitled “Life 101.” It actually opens with a letter that my suitemates and I received in 1991 from the Department of University Housing regarding the state that we kept our suite in. It was a nice warning — we had to meet with the RA and have a little talk, as well. There’s also a section in that chapter about a class I took that I really enjoyed, as well as an anecdote about a classmate that I’ve kept anonymous.

DTH: What was it like here in the ’90s?

DR: It was a great experience for me. I probably wasn’t ready for Carolina on a maturity level though. I had gone to the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, so I was already away from home in high school for boarding school, so when I got to Carolina I felt cheated out of high school, and I just goofed off. So I went home for a year and got my head straight, but it was a good growing experience for me, not just academically but maturity-wise.

DTH: How have people been responding to the book so far?

DR: I had my first reading and signing this past Friday night at a local bookstore in (Detroit), and there was a huge turnout — the store was packed, which was good. I’m also starting to get decent numbers on Amazon from people not in my area, so there’s been a really good response so far.

DTH: What are you hoping readers take away from the book other than a good laugh?

DR: Well, a good laugh is obviously important for humor books, but what I talk about in the introduction is how we tend to take ourselves too seriously, especially the older we get and as we build careers. So we have to value the silly moments —we have to look at the silly things as mistakes, but also as opportunities to grow from.