Michael McAdoo files class-action lawsuit against UNC

The former football player claims UNC did not give him a quality education.

“UNC has reaped substantial profits from football student-athletes’ performance for the school, but it has not provided them a legitimate education in return,” the lawsuit states.

“As such, UNC has breached its contract with Plaintiff and Class members, in violation of North Carolina common law.”

The suit faults the University for breach of contract, fraud and engagement in deceptive trade practices.

“The suit seeks to restore the devotion to both the student and the athlete,” said Jeremi Duru, of counsel with Mehri & Skalet PLLC — one of the law firms representing McAdoo in the suit.

McAdoo, who attended UNC on a football scholarship between 2008 and 2010, was expelled from the team in 2010 after the NCAA declared him ineligible to play because he had received improper benefits and academic assistance.

McAdoo sued the University and the NCAA in 2011, claiming that the latter made an erroneous decision in ruling him ineligible to play. That lawsuit and a later appeal were both dismissed.

McAdoo’s current lawsuit outlines the findings of independent investigator Kenneth Wainstein’s report.

“More information has been coming out over the course of the year, but the Wainstein report was certainly a pivotal point in the true understanding of academic impropriety,” Duru said. “It just seemed as though it was appropriate to come forward.”

Duru said he doesn’t know yet if others will come forward to join the class-action suit.

The lawsuit requests that a court appointee review the curriculum and course selection for all football players and that all football student-athletes at UNC be provided with four-year scholarships in the future.

“The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill became aware Friday of the lawsuit filed by former student Michael McAdoo,” Rick White, associate vice chancellor for communications and public affairs, said in a statement.

“The University will reserve further comment until we’ve had the opportunity to fully review the claims.”

The lawsuit also details McAdoo’s recruitment process, which the suit claims was misleading.

“During each of the visits, the coaches stressed UNC’s stellar academic reputation and strength as well as the UNC football program’s commitment to its student-athletes’ academics,” the lawsuit states. “Indeed, during one of the visits, Mr. McAdoo remembers head coach Davis telling Mr. McAdoo’s mother, grandmother and grandfather, ‘I can’t guarantee that Michael will play in the NFL, but one thing I can guarantee is that he will get a good education at the University of North Carolina.’”