And after advancing through her first match of the ITA National Individual Indoor Tournament in New York, Loeb found herself up against the familiar foe from Virginia one more time Friday. But unlike her prior meetings with Elbaba, this time she was not victorious.

For the North Carolina’s women’s tennis team’s final weekend of fall tournament play, Loeb and four others traveled to New York to compete in ITA National Indoors. Loeb, who reached the quarterfinals of the tournament, was defeated by Elbaba 7-6, 4-6, 6-2.

“We were a little disappointed with our results,” Loeb said. “I need to come out a little stronger in my matches.”

Coach Brian Kalbas, who sent a record-high five Tar Heels to the tournament, was aware of the stiff competition his team faced.

“(Jamie) competed well,” Kalbas said. “The Virginia girl played very well and had motivation.”

Caroline Price won her first match of the tournament in two sets, but lost to Viktoriya Lushkokva of Oklahoma State 7-5, 2-6, 3-6.

Hayley Carter also played singles in this tournament. She lost in the first round to Natalie Beazant of Rice 7-6, 6-4. Carter played in the consolation tournament but she fell in the first round to Vanderbilt’s Sydney Campbell 6-3, 6-4.

On the doubles side of the tournament, partners Ashley Dai and Kate Vialle started off impressively, but couldn’t close. The pair won their first round matchup, but fell in the second round to Pleun Burgmans and Emily Flickinger of Auburn 6-4, 4-6, 10-8.

“Kate and I started off well, we were playing well” said Dai. “We had a lot of chances to take them out.”

In the consolation bracket, Dai and Vialle lost their second match to California’s Maegan Manasse and Denise Starr 0-6, 6-4, 10-6.

Kalbas traveled back to Chapel Hill early Saturday morning for the Kitty Harrison Invitational, which began on Friday, Nov. 7 and finished Sunday, Nov. 9. Only four UNC players competed in the local event: Marika Akkerman, Cassandra Vasquez, Maggie Kane and Whitney Kay.

On day one, UNC was matched up against players from William & Mary, Wake Forest and N.C. State. Of its three singles and four doubles matches, UNC won all but one doubles match.

The second day, UNC faced more of a challenge in its three singles matches against N.C. State, losing all three. But they bounced back against Penn State and managed to win both doubles matches.

Sunday brought only three matches against Maryland, as the team won both singles matches and lost the doubles match.

“Overall the tournament was great,” Kalbas said. “We are really excited with how we have improved this fall.”